Thursday, October 10, 2013

Broward County Transit - Letter to Tim Garling BCT Transit Director


Below is the letter I sent to Tim Garling at Broward County Transit.  In looking at it, I realize I asked for the name of the supervisor of Customer "service" two different times.  It was a mistake, but maybe it's because customer "service" typically infuriates me.  Also, I kind of wish I'd mentioned that I have been called back maybe two or three times about issues, but that is an infinitesimal number compared to how many complaints I've filed for a call back.  I'll let you know when or IF I receive a reply.  I'm thinking about distributing this letter on some of the bus routes.  Let me know what you think by leaving a comment.
So for now,I remain,
Condemned to Broward County Transit

Mr. Timothy Garling
Transit Director
Broward County Transit
1 N. University Drive
Plantation, FL 33324

October 8, 2013


Mr. Garling:

I am a frequent rider of Broward County Transit.  I am educated yet disabled.  Because of my issue, I am condemned to use Broward County Transit, and am extremely unhappy with the “service” from top to bottom.  The last time I contacted you, I was pawned off to (name removed), and when I tried to  reach him on the number he gave me, I was told he does not work for Broward County Transit.  This time I want to hear from you in writing.   

  1. If we have two traffic seasons here in Broward County, how do you suppose buses that can’t meet the schedules routinely during slow season can possibly meet their schedules during “the” season???  What will you do about this? See my blog post at condemnedtobrowardcountytransit@blogspot.com dated September 17, 2012.
  2. The 2010 COA Study highlighted specific problems.  Two of the most outstanding to me were the fact that over 70% of the ridership is looking to get to work and school.  The other was that 43% of bus trips are not on time.  What is being done about this right now???  People get fired for being late.  Are you aware of this??  Please see my blog post dated  November 23, 2012. 
  3. Why is it so difficult to get  names of employees of BCT?  You are a publicly owned facility, but when I ask for names so I can address my complaints appropriately, I’m dealt with rudely which makes this quote of yours laughable:    “...but the strength of Broward County Transit has been and always will be its employees. We are all here to get you there.”  What a joke!!  Your employees  are often arrogant, hostile, and they lie routinely.  These people represent your “service” See my blog dated  October 3, 2012.
  4. Who is in charge of scheduling? What is the name of the person(s) in charge of customer “service”?  Why can’t I get transferred to these people’s extensions?  BCT is not part of national security; why all the secrecy?  Just so you know, I once asked for you by name, and the customer “service” person said no one by that name works at BCT.  How do you account for that?
  5. Why don’t I get called back as promised by customer “service” when I file a complaint? Are my complaints typed in or  written down ... then promptly placed in the trash...?  If you say no, how would you know?  Why don’t you have an electronic means of filing complaints where there might have to be some compliance?
  6. Recently the yellow line rule went into effect.  Why weren’t the schedules adjusted to allow for all of the riders, even some who ride everyday, paying for their four dollar bus pass with nickels and dimes???  This tells me that no one at BCT actually rides the buses.  This decision was clearly made to protect the county from their own drivers who don’t have the appropriate judgement skills, but the riders were never considered.  
  7. Why is driver training taking place during traditional commutation hours (6-9am)?  To follow up with that, last week the “trainer” was oblivious to the schedule and had no idea they were fifteen minutes late.  See my blog post dated September 19, 2013.
  8. I attended the meeting at the community center by A1A and saw where you are intending to use more of those absolutely ridiculously small bus shelters. Why???  Those things are a joke.    Take a bus on a rainy day; wait in one of those useless things, and try to arrive to your job looking professional.  I can’t.  You told the county commission, “New customer comforts and conveniences are on the horizon. A $23 million construction program calls for an additional 680 new bus shelters by 2014, bringing the total to 1,177 countywide.”   Get our taxpayer money back and cancel all future orders.  These things are awful.What are you going to do about this?  Where is the comfort?  Where is the convenience?  
  9. Where’s the accountability?  To whom do the drivers report?  To whom do the customer “service” representatives report?  How can they be contacted?
  10. At the end of your “Green” YouTube video you said we should join you on the bus.  Do you rely on the buses to get you where you are expected to be?  If not, why not?  I suggest that everyone at BCT  and the county commissioners be required to depend solely on the buses for one consecutive week each year especially when making decisions about our ‘comfort’ and ‘convenience’.

I look forward to receiving  your answers to these questions.

       Chip LaMarca - Broward County Commissioner
       

4 comments:

  1. It's about time they have to answer to riders! BCT is the worst public transportation system I've ever experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Mr. Garling abandoned the Pinellas County Transit system because he saw a failing effort to build a rail system. More than likely he will abandon the Broward Transit system as soon as a "better opportunity" comes along. People like Garling are only interested in the people they meet and the "projects" they can take credit for.
    2. The "Green Initiative" of the BCT is merely a dog and pony show put on by BCT to distract riders from the abysmal conditions of riding public transport in Broward. "Ride the bus! Be green!...but ignore the tardiness, the terrible attitude of our drivers, and the out of control behavior of our passenders which refuse to be acknowledged by the BCT leadership and Broward County Sherriff's Office."
    3. If Mr. Garling has ridden a bus, it has not been on any sort of busy line, or when there wasn't a reporter or city official riding with him.
    4. If there was accountability, this wouldn't be the government.
    5. Garling's bus shelters couldn't shield Kate Moss from the Florida rain.
    6. Maybe one of these days, he will return a letter like this with some actual answers rather than "apologies" where nothing is resolved and nothing changes.
    7. Go you! Hopefully Chip will step in and provide some answers because the odds of Garling doing anything is slim to none. His 6 figure salary is hardly enough to get him out of bed in the morning.
    8. They paid $75,000 out of pocket to pay for an injured bus driver who still hasn't been cleared of negligent driving, but will not spend that money to hire decent drivers in the first place...hmmmmmm

    Great letter. Down with the BCT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broward is the the world's worst bus service. If you want to feel like you'll never get anywhere just wait for a Broward county bus!

    ReplyDelete